turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pete3138

I have retired from being self-employed. Can I still claim depreciation on my camera equipment on schedule C?

Even though I did not work at all in my occupation last year, I was still available, so can I still deduct the remaining depreciation on my equipment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I have retired from being self-employed. Can I still claim depreciation on my camera equipment on schedule C?

No. If you have retired from the business, you can no longer deduct any expenses. Being available is not the same as having a profit motive.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

No. If you have retired from the business, you can no longer deduct any expenses. Being available is not the same as having a profit motive.

pete3138

If I'm still in business, but did no work and received no income, then could I claim the depreciation?  (P.S.  This is now a rhetorical question because I have already gone back and converted the equipment to 100% personal use, so now there is no equipment to depreciate.)
pete3138

In other words, if I'm a freelancer and received no assignments over the year, could I still deduct equipment depreciation?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

No.
pete3138

Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies