turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Re: starting a business, if my business will open on 1/1/18, can I deduct business startup expenses from 2017 when I file my 2017 taxes?

Because itemization will change under the new tax plan, I'm wondering if I should spend more on business startup costs in 2017 (instead of 2018) to take advantage of business startup deductions NOW.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Re: starting a business, if my business will open on 1/1/18, can I deduct business startup expenses from 2017 when I file my 2017 taxes?

No and no.

Itemized personal deductions are changing, but most of the rules for deducting business expenses on schedule C aren't changing.

You can't deduct business expenses on schedule C if you don't have income to report.  Instead, you report your startup expenses in the first year you have income.  The first $5000 of startup expenses can be taken as an expense deduction.  If the amount of startup is more than $5000, some part can be taken as an expense in the first year and the rest is amortized over 15 years.

Also, the tax bill made depreciation of certain types of equipment or assets that you buy for work more favorable starting in 2018.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No and no.

Itemized personal deductions are changing, but most of the rules for deducting business expenses on schedule C aren't changing.

You can't deduct business expenses on schedule C if you don't have income to report.  Instead, you report your startup expenses in the first year you have income.  The first $5000 of startup expenses can be taken as an expense deduction.  If the amount of startup is more than $5000, some part can be taken as an expense in the first year and the rest is amortized over 15 years.

Also, the tax bill made depreciation of certain types of equipment or assets that you buy for work more favorable starting in 2018.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies