Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife owns an LLC and she's the sole proprietor. I was wondering if it would be possible to file our taxes jointly and she does her business taxes completely separate.

My wife owns an LLC and she's the sole proprietor.  I was wondering if it would be possible to file our personal taxes jointly and she does her business taxes completely separate from our joint return.  Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

My wife owns an LLC and she's the sole proprietor. I was wondering if it would be possible to file our taxes jointly and she does her business taxes completely separate.

If she is a sole proprietor and treats the incorporation as a disregarded entity, her income and expenses would be entered on the married filing jointly tax return with you. They would be entered on Schedule C and on line 12 of your joint form 1040. She would not prepare a separate business tax return.

ecutt91

Should my husband and I still use the Home and Business Version of Turbo Tax?  I am the sole proprietor of the LLC.
ecutt91

Should my husband and I still use the Home and Business Version of Turbo tax.  I am the sole proprietor of the LLC.

When you use the CD/download product, you can use any version because they all include Schedule C. The Home & Business version provides more guidance for entering business income.
When using the online product, you must use Self Employed because it is the only version that includes Schedule C.

You make it sound kinda easy.  I figured that with all the payroll and taxes she has to pay that it would be a bit more difficult than that.

You need to confirm that the LLC is a disregarded entity and that she is not required to file a corporate tax return. If she does, then it is totally separate from the personal tax return and requires the TurboTax Business program in addition to the program for your personal return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies