Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lfassett

My husband spent 600.80 on gas last year driving uber but i am unsure which section it goes under.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

My husband spent 600.80 on gas last year driving uber but i am unsure which section it goes under.

As an Uber driver he's treated as an independent contractor and issued a Form 1099-MISC showing the amount earned.  To report his expenses -- including fuel -- click on the Business tab, then select I'll Choose What I Work On and you'll be taken to the page that says Let's Gather Your Business Info.  Next to Profit Or Loss From Business click on "start" or "update" and this will open up the business section where you'll see different headings like "Business Income" and, further down the page, "Business Expenses".  After entering his income in the Business Income section, you'll enter the fuel in Business Vehicle Expenses.  In this section, TurboTax will ask you about his car and the different vehicle expenses he has incurred.  You'll also get to select whether you want to take the actual expenses paid, or whether you prefer to take the standard mileage rate based on his business miles driven (the rate per mile for 2016 is $.54).  TurboTax will also calculate it both ways and tell you which is greater.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

As an Uber driver he's treated as an independent contractor and issued a Form 1099-MISC showing the amount earned.  To report his expenses -- including fuel -- click on the Business tab, then select I'll Choose What I Work On and you'll be taken to the page that says Let's Gather Your Business Info.  Next to Profit Or Loss From Business click on "start" or "update" and this will open up the business section where you'll see different headings like "Business Income" and, further down the page, "Business Expenses".  After entering his income in the Business Income section, you'll enter the fuel in Business Vehicle Expenses.  In this section, TurboTax will ask you about his car and the different vehicle expenses he has incurred.  You'll also get to select whether you want to take the actual expenses paid, or whether you prefer to take the standard mileage rate based on his business miles driven (the rate per mile for 2016 is $.54).  TurboTax will also calculate it both ways and tell you which is greater.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies