turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LLC tax clasification

I have to file a tax classification for my LLC, I am a single member LLC. What is the best choice ?
S- Corporation
C-  Corporation
Pass Through Partnership
Pass Through Sole Proprietorship
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

LLC tax clasification

"Best" is a question that no one can answer for you. I can tell you that the simplest solution for a single-member LLC is to accept the default classification as a sole proprietorship. A single-member LLC classified as a sole proprietorship is a disregarded entity for tax purposes. You report the LLC's income and expenses on a Schedule C attached to the owner's Form 1040 Individual Income Tax Return. The owner takes the LLC's net profit or loss into account in the determination of taxable income, and pays self-employment (FICA) tax via Schedule SE.

Any of the other options add layers of complexity and cost. The partnership and S Corp classifications are really appropriate for multi-member LLCs. While a single owner C Corp is certainly a feasible possibility, it exposes the business entity's earnings to the possibility of double taxation unless the owner's salary and bonuses are carefully monitored.

I hope this has been helpful and will enable you to make a good choice.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

LLC tax clasification

"Best" is a question that no one can answer for you. I can tell you that the simplest solution for a single-member LLC is to accept the default classification as a sole proprietorship. A single-member LLC classified as a sole proprietorship is a disregarded entity for tax purposes. You report the LLC's income and expenses on a Schedule C attached to the owner's Form 1040 Individual Income Tax Return. The owner takes the LLC's net profit or loss into account in the determination of taxable income, and pays self-employment (FICA) tax via Schedule SE.

Any of the other options add layers of complexity and cost. The partnership and S Corp classifications are really appropriate for multi-member LLCs. While a single owner C Corp is certainly a feasible possibility, it exposes the business entity's earnings to the possibility of double taxation unless the owner's salary and bonuses are carefully monitored.

I hope this has been helpful and will enable you to make a good choice.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies