turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Akhas

K-1 for S corporation

Is a K-1 from a S-corp subject to the same taxes as a bonus from a S-corp? 

I keep hearing that a K-1 saves you payroll taxes (3%), whereas you pay full taxes on a bonus. I have also been told that although you may initially save payroll taxes (social security and Medicare) on the K-1, you will end up paying these when I file my personal taxes in April 2021. 

Which one of the above is accurate? 

Thanks 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
M-MTax
Level 10

K-1 for S corporation

Stockholders of the S CORP who provide services to the corp have to be paid reasonable salaries. You MUST see a tax pro.....you can't have all of the profits being paid to owners of the S corp as pass throughs on K-1s.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

K-1 for S corporation

Stockholders of the S CORP who provide services to the corp have to be paid reasonable salaries. You MUST see a tax pro.....you can't have all of the profits being paid to owners of the S corp as pass throughs on K-1s.

Anonymous
Not applicable

K-1 for S corporation

here's an explanation.   as self-employed or partner in a business not involved exempt activities the taxpayer's net earnings up to about $149,000 (the earnings are then multiplied by .9235 resulting in a max of $137,700 for 2020 that are subject to fica taxes of 12.4%. in addition, all these earnings are subject to a medicare tax of 2.9%. I won't get into situations when the medicare tax can be higher.  in an S-corp the wages the shareholders take are subject to the same taxes but half comes out of the s/h w-2 and 1/2 is paid by the corp.  the key here is that any remaining profits are taxed to the shareholders but they do not pay the fica or medicare tax on them.

so, in theory, if the shareholder took no salary they would not pay these taxes and while their taxable income would go up by the taxes the S-corp doesn't pay (over $10,000 on a $137,700 salary), the increase in income taxes might be a max of 50% of this amount thus saving over $5,000 + the shareholder saves over $10,000 in the taxes not taken out of their paycheck.   however, the IRS strongly frowns on this and a taxpayer avoiding taking a reasonable salary faces substantial additional taxes, penalties and interest. 

there is an offset to this. as a sole proprietor or partner, all their net income may qualify for the $20% QBI deduction. .However, for most S-corp shareholders only the 20% net income from the S-Corp qualifies. their salary doesn't. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies