turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I add my $700 business computer as both depreciation asset and business expenses? Or either or?

Can I add my $700 business computer as both depreciation asset and business expenses? Or either or?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

You cannot claim both depreciation and business expense- however, in the TurboTax entry, you enter it as an asset and it should qualify for 179 in which case you deduct as a expense (it has to be reported as an asset but you get the business expense deduction) or bonus depreciation (which has the same effect).  So- technically it is an asset, but it may be treated as an expense.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your response; can you tell me which way gives me the biggest deduction because I do not see the total of all my assets; I just see the depreciation cost which is much smaller.

After you enter the info, it should prompt you if you want to take it as an expense or bonus depreciation amount- if you did not see it edit the entry and go through again.  Let me know if you don't see it.

Would you happen to know which way will provide me with a bigger deduction:  expense or bonus depreciation?

The next question is "Do You Want to Deduct this item? Spread the deduction over several years or Deduct all or part of the item's value this year?

It then show:  Your Asset Summary

Finally return back to the Asset area so I can add other asset

As a final, final, it take you to "current year depreciation report"

So the question Deduct all or part of the item's value will allow you to expense

Thank you very much for your help.

You are welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies