turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jddecker

Final cash liquidation in Box 9 for a REIT & had partials in 2016 & 17. Received no 1099B but have a loss. Exactly how do I report on Schedule D? Do I check box E or F?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Final cash liquidation in Box 9 for a REIT & had partials in 2016 & 17. Received no 1099B but have a loss. Exactly how do I report on Schedule D? Do I check box E or F?

Box F.  This stands for long-term transactions not reported on Form 1099-B.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Box F.  This stands for long-term transactions not reported on Form 1099-B.  

jddecker

Thanks for Box F, but how do I complete Schedule D; i.e., Cost Basis, Sales, etc. with no 1099 B?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It may take more research on your part.  You will need to know the original purchase date and price.  The purchase price is the basis (plus any additional that you had to pay in fees at purchase or at selling the REIT), then the date of the sale and the sales price.  If the sale price is less than the basis, and the REIT was more than 1 year old, then it will be reported as a long-term capital loss on Schedule D.
jddecker

I have all the numbers.  It's long term. The 2016 & 17 liquidations result in a $3000 loss. Received $400 as the final liquidation in 2018.  I can't enter a $3000 loss as my cost basis.  Can I enter all 3 liquidations as the "sales"?  My  2018 1099-DIV shows $400 for in Box 9, but there were 2 previous partial liquidations.  The REIT company said to wait to report until the final distribution was made in 2018.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Is this reported on 1099-DIV? or which form?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies