Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it OK to have business expenses more than business income i.e., negative business income?

I'm a part time consultant. My business income this year is around $6,000 (reported in 1099-MISC). I bought asset like laptop, phone and tablet this year for this business. As a result, my business expenses is around $6,500. Is it OK to claim all the business expenses since now, my net business income is negative?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnaB

Is it OK to have business expenses more than business income i.e., negative business income?

Yes, and legally, you should claim all eligible business expenses along with all income.  In general, this does not cause problems; however, if you consistently have losses (3 years or more, for example), then the IRS could come back and consider this a hobby instead of a business and disallow the loss(es) claimed.  For hobby income (without a clear profit intent), then you can only deduct your expenses up to the income as an itemized deduction (and reduced by 2% of your adjusted gross income).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AnnaB

Yes, and legally, you should claim all eligible business expenses along with all income.  In general, this does not cause problems; however, if you consistently have losses (3 years or more, for example), then the IRS could come back and consider this a hobby instead of a business and disallow the loss(es) claimed.  For hobby income (without a clear profit intent), then you can only deduct your expenses up to the income as an itemized deduction (and reduced by 2% of your adjusted gross income).

fran11

If you are running the business, but have not received income for the last 2 years, can you still write-off your expenses?

The IRS presumes that an activity is carried on for profit if it makes a profit during at least three of the last five tax years, including the current year.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/uac/business-or-hobby-answer-has-implications-for-deductions">https://www.irs.go...>

MY FASHION CONSULTING BUSINESS IS IN MY HOME, DURING THE COVID INVASION, I DID NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO ENTER MY HOME, HOW CAN I CLAIM A BUSINESS LOSS

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The concern is that you were actively working to make money from home - not about the others in your house. There are plenty of ways to connect electronically with customers.  As long as you meet the requirements of a business, you can claim income and losses.

See Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center for all things tax related.

@msjewel8504

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies