turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In TurboTax Business, on Estate's 1041, when there was no income distribution from estate to beneficiaries, what is recommended approach for K-1s... none or all w/ zeros?

Supporting details:

1. I need to file the Estate's 1041 since the estate had income from a stock sale > $600
  2. The stock sale proceeds were not distributed to the beneficiaries
  3. No other estate income was distributed to the beneficiaries

Recommended approach #1: Do not generate any K-1s

• I.e.: in TurboTax, DO NOT specify any beneficiaries.
  • Result 1: the Estate's 1041 Box B will correctly indicate that there are 0 K-1s attached
  • Result 2: TurboTax will NOT generate K-1s with income = 0 for attaching/filing with the Estate's 1041 and therefore each beneficary will NOT receive a K-1

Recommended approach #2: Generate the K-1s with income = 0

• I.e.: in TurboTax, specify all the beneficiaries.
  • Result 1: the Estate's 1041 Box B will correctly indicate that there are <n> K-1s attached
  • Result 2: TurboTax WILL generate K-1s with income = 0 for attaching/filing with the Estate's 1041 and therefore each beneficary will receive a K-1 which they would keep for their records.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

In TurboTax Business, on Estate's 1041, when there was no income distribution from estate to beneficiaries, what is recommended approach for K-1s... none or all w/ zeros?

Option #1 is not wrong but for clarity I would go with option #2  and then you can either tell the beneficiaries they will not get a K-1 this year or mail them the K-1.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies