turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I have a company that rents bridal accessories, should I be putting the inventory as COGS or depreciating over time? Or can I do both?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I have a company that rents bridal accessories, should I be putting the inventory as COGS or depreciating over time? Or can I do both?

COGS is for items that are sold to customers in the normal course of business.

Rental of bridal should not be in COGS.  

The items if the material in cost should be depreciated over the useful life.  You cannot do both as no double benefit is allowed.

I do realize you may sell some of the used rentals later but that is not the bread and butter of the business. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

COGS is for items that are sold to customers in the normal course of business.

Rental of bridal should not be in COGS.  

The items if the material in cost should be depreciated over the useful life.  You cannot do both as no double benefit is allowed.

I do realize you may sell some of the used rentals later but that is not the bread and butter of the business. 

Super helpful - thank you!  And where do I show depreciation on a schedule C? Or is there a different form for depreciation of assets?

In the Sch C area it will ask about assets that were acquired during the year and then allow depreciation and/or faster write-off the outfits.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies