Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I record the sale of a business, that was 100% goodwill, no hard assets to record and of course no 1099? It is a long term capital gain.

What form do I manually enter the information about the long term capital gain? The sale of the business was not recorded on any govt. form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

Where do I record the sale of a business, that was 100% goodwill, no hard assets to record and of course no 1099? It is a long term capital gain.

If you know the basis in the business (which in your case will be $0), the sales price and that it is a long-term capital gain, then you can just report this as the sale of a capital asset.

To enter the sale of a capital asset in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "investment sales" in the search bar then select "jump to investment sales". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

1. Choose “Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other” and select “start’ (or “update” is you have already worked on this section)
  2. The first screen will ask if you sold any investments during the current tax year (This includes any sale of personal property held as an investment property so answer “yes” to this question)
  3. Since you did not receive a 1099-B, answer “no” to the 1099-B question
  4. Choose the type of investment you sold - Everything else
  5. Enter your information here including the description

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies