Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gsobrito

If I set it ups an LLC in CA as a Sole Proprietor can I use Turbo Tax to do my taxes? Also will I need to file a personal and a corp return if I set it up this way?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I set it ups an LLC in CA as a Sole Proprietor can I use Turbo Tax to do my taxes? Also will I need to file a personal and a corp return if I set it up this way?

If you are running your business through a single-member LLC that hasn't elected to be taxed as a Subchapter S corporation or a C corporation then sure, you can use TurboTax to do your taxes.  In this situation the LLC is a "disregarded entity" to the IRS, i.e., it doesn't exist.  You just file the business activity on Schedule C that becomes part your personal income tax return on Form 1040.

To prepare a full-blown Schedule C - one where you report both revenue and expenses - then in TurboTax's "online" world you have to move up to the Self-Employed product.

All "desktop" versions support a full-blown Schedule C but TurboTax Home & Business has the most intensive interviews for sole proprietors/independent contractors.

There should be no need to file a "corp return" in this situation, though you will have to prepare a filing for California so the state can asses you a fee for the "privilege" of having an LLC in that state.  The TT California program can handle this.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are running your business through a single-member LLC that hasn't elected to be taxed as a Subchapter S corporation or a C corporation then sure, you can use TurboTax to do your taxes.  In this situation the LLC is a "disregarded entity" to the IRS, i.e., it doesn't exist.  You just file the business activity on Schedule C that becomes part your personal income tax return on Form 1040.

To prepare a full-blown Schedule C - one where you report both revenue and expenses - then in TurboTax's "online" world you have to move up to the Self-Employed product.

All "desktop" versions support a full-blown Schedule C but TurboTax Home & Business has the most intensive interviews for sole proprietors/independent contractors.

There should be no need to file a "corp return" in this situation, though you will have to prepare a filing for California so the state can asses you a fee for the "privilege" of having an LLC in that state.  The TT California program can handle this.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies