turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a sole proprietor LLC looking to use section 199a to deduct 20% QBI.

I am a sole proprietor LLC looking to use section 199a to deduct 20% QBI. I was told by my tax professional that I can use this and did with no issues. When my return is reviewed it asks me if I am a general or limited partner for my K1, but I did not receive a K1. He said that is normal and to select General for that field. Has anyone else had to do this? Is this the correct method to deduct QBI? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

A K-1 is issued by an S-Corp or a Partnership. If you do not have one of these or another business did not issue your LLC one, then you made an incorrect entry somewhere. If you have a sole proprpietorship, that would not issue you a K-1. You would enter all income and deductions on your Schedule C. Please see the screen shot below.

QBI is calculated automatically based on your answers for your Schedule C.

Q1. What is the Qualified Business Income Deduction?

A1. Section 199A of the Internal Revenue Code provides many taxpayers a deduction for qualified business income from a qualified trade or business operated directly or through a pass-through entity. The deduction has two components.

1. Eligible taxpayers may be entitled to a deduction of up to 20 percent of qualified business income (QBI) from a domestic business operated as a sole proprietorship or through a partnership, S corporation, trust or estate. For taxpayers with taxable income that exceeds $315,000 for a married couple filing a joint return, or $157,500 for all other taxpayers, the deduction is subject to limitations such as the type of trade or business, the taxpayer’s taxable income, the amount of W-2 wages paid by the qualified trade or business and the unadjusted basis immediately after acquisition (UBIA) of qualified property held by the trade or business. Income earned through a C corporation or by providing services as an employee is not eligible for the deduction.

I received a 1099 but never a K1. If already submitted do I need to submit an amended return?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If you amend, no numbers will change on your return, so the 1040x will be meaningless. Wait to see if you hear from the IRS and then explain what happened. It may not even be an. Had you gotten a K-1, they would have received a copy.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies