turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I own an LLC jointly,but also work a full-time job do I file a 1040 with my info from both the LLC and my job?Do we file a 1065 jointly or separate(We operated a loss)?

Is it necessary for us to file a 1065 even though we were at a loss?  Do we each do a 1065 or is it done together?  How do we put information about our business on a 1040 form if that is what we use for our personal taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I own an LLC jointly,but also work a full-time job do I file a 1040 with my info from both the LLC and my job?Do we file a 1065 jointly or separate(We operated a loss)?

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

If the LLC is set up as a partnership, you prepare one 1065 return for the partnership.  As part of the 1065, TurboTax will prepare a form K-1 - Partner's Share of Income, Credits, Deductions, etc. for each partner.  Include the information from the K-1 in your 1040 return.

If you and your spouse own the business jointly, you won't need to file a partnership return if you split your business income and expenses between you and report them as separate businesses.

Here's how you do it:

1.  Split all of your business income and expenses according to your ownership percentages.
2.  Change the ownership of the Schedule C to you.
3.  Enter your income and expenses on this Schedule C.
4.  Create a new Schedule C for your spouse (make sure the business description is different from yours).
5.  Enter your spouse's share of the income and expenses on the new Schedule C.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

If the LLC is set up as a partnership, you prepare one 1065 return for the partnership.  As part of the 1065, TurboTax will prepare a form K-1 - Partner's Share of Income, Credits, Deductions, etc. for each partner.  Include the information from the K-1 in your 1040 return.

If you and your spouse own the business jointly, you won't need to file a partnership return if you split your business income and expenses between you and report them as separate businesses.

Here's how you do it:

1.  Split all of your business income and expenses according to your ownership percentages.
2.  Change the ownership of the Schedule C to you.
3.  Enter your income and expenses on this Schedule C.
4.  Create a new Schedule C for your spouse (make sure the business description is different from yours).
5.  Enter your spouse's share of the income and expenses on the new Schedule C.

If it is a partnership with a friend and not a spouse are there many differences?
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

No.  Just the first paragraph of my answer applies to your situation, then.

Thank you so much for your time and helpful answers.  I just have one more question.  Is the 1065 a federal return and the 1065 k-1 a state return?
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

No.  The K-1 is a part of the federal 1065 return.  Some states, though,have their own "state K-1," which is prepared as part of the partnership's (1065) return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies