Solved: If I set it ups an LLC in CA as a Sole Proprietor can I use Turbo Tax to do my taxes? Also will I need to file a personal and a corp return if I set it up this way?

If I set it ups an LLC in CA as a Sole Proprietor can I use Turbo Tax to do my taxes? Also will I need to file a personal and a corp return if I set it up this way?

If you are running your business through a single-member LLC that hasn't elected to be taxed as a Subchapter S corporation or a C corporation then sure, you can use TurboTax to do your taxes.  In this situation the LLC is a "disregarded entity" to the IRS, i.e., it doesn't exist.  You just file the business activity on Schedule C that becomes part your personal income tax return on Form 1040.

To prepare a full-blown Schedule C - one where you report both revenue and expenses - then in TurboTax's "online" world you have to move up to the Self-Employed product.

All "desktop" versions support a full-blown Schedule C but TurboTax Home & Business has the most intensive interviews for sole proprietors/independent contractors.

There should be no need to file a "corp return" in this situation, though you will have to prepare a filing for California so the state can asses you a fee for the "privilege" of having an LLC in that state.  The TT California program can handle this.

Tom Young

Tom Young