Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwdissen

I was operating as a sole proprietor for half a year, formed an LLC in July, then elected to be taxed as an s-corp. Do I owe payroll tax for distributions January-July?

When do I need to start paying payroll tax for the payments I make from my business to myself (Federal & Maryland)? I am the only owner of the business. The s-corp election was made in August (within 75 days of forming), but the effective date is July 1, when the LLC was formed. 

Do I need to retroactively pay payroll tax for any money I paid myself, or is it only going forward after the s-corp election is made? Are there going to be penalties since it's technically late, even though I just formed? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I was operating as a sole proprietor for half a year, formed an LLC in July, then elected to be taxed as an s-corp. Do I owe payroll tax for distributions January-July?

Do I owe payroll tax for distributions January-July?   No you do not.  And you should start taking a paycheck going forward now ... don't worry about the first couple of months. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies