turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to just annualize my self employment income and not try to break it out by mont- How do I un-do that question

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I want to just annualize my self employment income and not try to break it out by mont- How do I un-do that question

The reason for asking that is in case you didn't set aside enough for taxes, which are due quarterly. In other words, if you owed $100 for taxes in each quarter, you might have underpaid for three quarters even if you pay $400 in the fourth quarter.

Here's a few workarounds:

1) If you aren't worried about underpayment penalties, just report all your income in the last month of the year. Enter zeroes for the first 11 months.

2) If you want to MAXIMIZE the possibility of underpayment penalties, which you still might not owe, report it all in the first month.

3) If your income was basically steady all year, report 1/12th each month, or report 1/4 each quarter, it doesn't matter what month in the quarter.

4) Split the difference, report half in June and half in July :-).

In the end, it probably won't matter, but in general, the goal is just to pay the taxes you owe, however you fill out the forms. As a fellow citizen/resident, thanks for reporting your income and paying your taxes 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies