Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to close my corporation (registered in California) and open another corporation in Texas. How do i transfer NOL from the California corporation to the new one using Torbotax business?

I own 80% stock in both corporations. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I want to close my corporation (registered in California) and open another corporation in Texas. How do i transfer NOL from the California corporation to the new one using Torbotax business?

You can't just move NOL's from company to company.

This issue is one that is best handled with competent tax professional(s).  I say plural as you will need to involve legal counsel and a tax professional.

There are rules that prevent the shifting of NOLs, however, those apply only when there has been an owner or equity shift of more than 50 percent over a 3 year period.  Based on the limited facts, you are currently below that threshold as you indicate you own 80% of both companies.

However, you can only accomplish what you want through an acquisition or a merger; hence the need to involve legal counsel.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can't just move NOL's from company to company.

This issue is one that is best handled with competent tax professional(s).  I say plural as you will need to involve legal counsel and a tax professional.

There are rules that prevent the shifting of NOLs, however, those apply only when there has been an owner or equity shift of more than 50 percent over a 3 year period.  Based on the limited facts, you are currently below that threshold as you indicate you own 80% of both companies.

However, you can only accomplish what you want through an acquisition or a merger; hence the need to involve legal counsel.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies