Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received 1099-NEC for farm rental income. That value is posted in Farm Income and Farm Rental. Then why am I directed to Rental Properties and Royalties?

Using TurboTax 2020 - When I start in on Farm Income and Farm Rental, I am directed to use the Rents and Royalties for my Farm Rental. When I report the rental income in Rents and Royalties, I end up with it being reported twice. I also get messages about a farm with no information in the Farm Income and Farm Rental. In the past I had received 1099-MISC.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I received 1099-NEC for farm rental income. That value is posted in Farm Income and Farm Rental. Then why am I directed to Rental Properties and Royalties?

If you are running the farm as a for-profit business, you would need to file a Schedule F.  If you receive rental income, it would need to be reported on a Schedule E.  If information is reported duplicate on both forms.  You can simply remove one of the forms from the program.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

1.  Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off

2.  From the left menu, select Tax Tools, click on the drop down arrow

3.  Select Tools

4.  Under Other helpful links, choose Delete a form

5.  Select Delete next to Schedule F or E and Continue with My Return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am not using the online version. I have the Mac version. I removed Schedule F. Now I have the option to link Form 1099-NEC to schedule C or to Schedule F.  In previous years, I received 1099-MISC and reported this income in Rentals and Royalties on Schedule E. The raw land is only rented to a farmer. So it appears to me that there should be a link to Schedule E.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

In that case, I will suggest you to enter information directly under Schedule E.

@ zozzl

I removed Schedule F. Am ready to file but the error check wants me to link the 1099-NEC to Schedule C or F. I have included it in the rent received on Schedule E. TurboTax wants to delete the form 1099-NEC to clear the error. How do I get past this to file my taxes?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

You can then remove the Form 1099-NEC from the program.  Here are the steps:

In TurboTax online,

• Sign into your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • From the left menu, select Tax Tools, click on the drop down arrow
  • Select Tools
  • Under Other helpful links, choose Delete a form
  • Select Delete next to Form 1099-NEC and Continue with My Return

Since you have entered the information on Schedule E, you can remove the Form 1099-NEC.

@zozzl

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies