turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sgras11

I need help with depreciation in our harness racing business

I have 4 horses to depreciate a newly constructed barn and horse trailer
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
NancyG

I need help with depreciation in our harness racing business

Broodmares, stallions, horses older than 12 years of age, and racehorses depreciate over three years; broodmares, stallions, show horses, riding horses, or any other horse 12 years or younger depreciate over seven years. Depreciation begins when the horse is ‘placed in service, and that doesn’t always mean the year in which the horse is purchased. A Thoroughbred yearling bought for racing might be considered “placed in service” when training starts in the fall of the yearling year or when the horse begins racing as a 2-year-old. The same yearling bought as a show hunter prospect might not be “placed in service” for tax purposes until much later.

The IRS allows you to depreciate the basis of that trailer over a five-year period. The two different methods for calculating this depreciation are the 150 percent declining balance method and the straight line method. 

In general, any farm building can be depreciated over 20 years. If you buy a farm that has a barn, machine shop, etc., those buildings will be 20-year property, which qualifies for bonus depreciation as long as it is new property.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies