turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm receiving an error on the DC form. The error is D-40WH Hidden: Payor Name 1 has too many characters. How do I fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

I'm receiving an error on the DC form. The error is D-40WH Hidden: Payor Name 1 has too many characters. How do I fix this?

Other filers have seen this message in the Washinton DC return.

Click on the Federal Taxes tab.    

Click on Wages and Income.

Select Edit/add for your W-2.    

For Box C-Employer Name, make the name shorter from the end.(This will not affect the tax calculations) The tax authority will be matching the number against the beginning characters of the name.

Select Continue.    

Go back to the top and select Review and Check My Info. If the new name is short enough,  you should get the message, "You’re good to go! Ready to file."  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Other filers have seen this message in the Washinton DC return.

Click on the Federal Taxes tab.    

Click on Wages and Income.

Select Edit/add for your W-2.    

For Box C-Employer Name, make the name shorter from the end.(This will not affect the tax calculations) The tax authority will be matching the number against the beginning characters of the name.

Select Continue.    

Go back to the top and select Review and Check My Info. If the new name is short enough,  you should get the message, "You’re good to go! Ready to file."  

Thanks, but that didn't work as I have a 1099-R that I'm working with. I tried shortening the name, but it didn't help.
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

It may help to shorten the name from the end, to under 10 characters, as the tax authority will be matching the first few characters against the Employer ID number.  Also, if you imported the 1099-R originally, try deleting it and select to Enter it Myself.  If there was something on the import triggering the error message, that will work around the problem.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies