Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Basis in S-Corp is less than current year loss

My basis in S-Corp is $1000 less than my current year's loss.   If I enter this lower amount, which I am being instructed to do, how will the amount carryover when I have income in future years?  Turbo Tax does not ask what my basis is, nor does it ask me to enter the loss from Box 1 and my basis amount, to determine the difference.  Also, if I have an income, it doesn't instruct me to enter an adjusted amount, just the amount from Box 1.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Basis in S-Corp is less than current year loss

I just had a question/answer with a TT expert similar to this and I think I can answer see https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3913938 for that discussion.

Basically you treat the amount of loss that exceeds your basis at "not at risk." So when the the "Other Situations" screen comes up when entering the K-1, leave all the boxes unchecked.  This triggers form 6198 At-Risk Limitations.  Follow the screen - you can probably use the simplified method of calculation - this is where you enter your basis as of Jan 1 and additions or subtractions during the year.  Thus TT calculates your ending basis and applies it against the K-1 loss to find your "allowed loss".  It will also generate form 6198 which shows the loss that is suspended and carried over.  Hope this helps.  Also, I hope some "expert" can comment to validate or refute what I answered.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies