turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

irishjav3

I discontinued my LuLaRoe business in 2017. I sent my inventory back in Oct, so my EOY inventory is 0, but I haven't received the refund yet. How do I report that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

I discontinued my LuLaRoe business in 2017. I sent my inventory back in Oct, so my EOY inventory is 0, but I haven't received the refund yet. How do I report that?

You have two options.

Option One: For this tax year, you write off the inventory at a loss. Next year, you report the refund as business income. 

Option Two: Delay reporting the disposal of your inventory until next year. The refund you receive will offset the loss from writing off the inventory.

As a cash-basis taxpayer, you report income as it is received and expense as they are paid. Although this is a "refund," you would need to report on next year's return because the receipt crossed tax years. But returning the inventory is a non-cash event, so you have a choice on how to report it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

20 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

You have two options.

Option One: For this tax year, you write off the inventory at a loss. Next year, you report the refund as business income. 

Option Two: Delay reporting the disposal of your inventory until next year. The refund you receive will offset the loss from writing off the inventory.

As a cash-basis taxpayer, you report income as it is received and expense as they are paid. Although this is a "refund," you would need to report on next year's return because the receipt crossed tax years. But returning the inventory is a non-cash event, so you have a choice on how to report it.

So will the ending inventory be the value of the clothing that was sent back to LuLaRoe if you use option 2?
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if you have no other inventory left.

So if option two is used, will my beginning inventory for 2018 will be the amount of the merchandise sent back?  Where line in Sch C does the amount received by check get  reported?

I guess I don't understand if I purchased the clothing and returned it, how would that count as income?
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

The refund offsets your original purchase cost. If you receive the refund in the same year as you write off the inventory, it is not income. (There is a place under inventory to enter refunds & credits.) But if you have written off the inventory (received a business deduction) this year, the refund must be reported as income next year.

Makes sense!   I had to look at a Sch. C to see the flow.  Thank you.

For what it's worth, I'm reporting my inventory as a loss this year. The refunded amount we got in February will be taxable under the new tax laws.

I have this same problem as i started in the sam year as i ended and just recieved my refund check a couple days ago. So would the same options apply?
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if you returned the inventory in one tax year and received the refund in the following tax year, the same options apply.

I received my refund the same year (2017) but I can't find the location to put the refund amount. Where do I input the refund amount?

Would I just say I don't have any inventory to report? Because all my inventory was sent back?
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

The refund is entered as other business income to offset the cost of inventory you purchased. But if it's a wash (refund for the inventory was exactly what you paid), you may choose to report no inventory and no refund.
bekandbri

I hope it's ok if I add on, or inquire further about this question as I am in the same situation. I'm a visual person, so I'd like to use actual numbers if that's ok for option 2.  For 2017, if I had the following BOY-10,000 Purchases - 5,000 EOY-8,000 (the amount that was sent back in 2017), Gross Sales-10,000, my gross profit/income (keeping it simple as there will be expenses) would be 3,000. For 2018, BOY 8,000 Purchases-0 EOY-0 Gross Sales-0 Returns-8,000, it would end up being a "wash" as gross profit would be 0.  Using the same numbers, if I were to go option 1, then I would show a gross profit/loss of -5,000, but in 2018, I'd be using my return of 8,000 and showing it as income (still using schedule c?).  

It seems like option 2 is the better way to go if I'm doing the calculations correctly. I don't know why, but this throws me off every year. Just can not grasp it!  haha. Thanks so much!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies