turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rgdcat

I have interest on my house and part is used for business but only 4 months this year. Do I put the full amount of interest or do I only record 4 months for the business

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

I have interest on my house and part is used for business but only 4 months this year. Do I put the full amount of interest or do I only record 4 months for the business

The software will give you the option to enter it both ways. If you selected "Yes" to have the software allocate your expenses for you (which is "recommended"), enter the full amount of mortgage interest under your home office. If you aren't sure, review the screens and read the instructions on each page, they will reiterate what choice you made by telling you to enter the full amount or only the amount related to the home office.

After, review the mortgage interest section under Deductions and Credits and you'll see the amount being allocated to your personal itemized deductions (and can delete any extra entry you may have made originally).

Otherwise, if you did not make the selection to let the software allocate the home expenses for you, you'll only enter the amount related to the home office for the 4 months of time, in the home office section. Then, enter the rest under the personal Deductions and Credits.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmandaR1

The software will give you the option to enter it both ways. If you selected "Yes" to have the software allocate your expenses for you (which is "recommended"), enter the full amount of mortgage interest under your home office. If you aren't sure, review the screens and read the instructions on each page, they will reiterate what choice you made by telling you to enter the full amount or only the amount related to the home office.

After, review the mortgage interest section under Deductions and Credits and you'll see the amount being allocated to your personal itemized deductions (and can delete any extra entry you may have made originally).

Otherwise, if you did not make the selection to let the software allocate the home expenses for you, you'll only enter the amount related to the home office for the 4 months of time, in the home office section. Then, enter the rest under the personal Deductions and Credits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies