turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

markl67

I have an S corp and Ive entered the income from form K-1 and yet I dont see any qualified business deduction when attempting to file my personal taxes for 2018. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I have an S corp and Ive entered the income from form K-1 and yet I dont see any qualified business deduction when attempting to file my personal taxes for 2018. Why?

It is calculated through the interview.  For starters, the QBI calculation is complex, especially if the individual is above the 157,500 thresholds if single, married filing separately, or head of household, or 315,000 if Married Filing Joint.  But these are the steps needed to help the program calculate QBI correctly:

1. Under Wages and Income, scroll down to the Subheading Business Income, and select K-1.  
  2. On the screen Choose Type of Activity select whether it is Business Income  or Rental Real Estate, (if business income, answer questions regarding your stock ownership and Material Participation, if rental real estate, answer the appropriate questions about being a Real Estate Professional, Active Participation, and Special Handling.)
  3. On the screen Check Boxes That Have an Amount, you should select Box 17 info.
  4. You should see codes V and W on the K-1 (if you do not, this is would be one reason why the QBI does not calculate.  This information must be on the K-1 for QBI to calculate).
  5. Select any that apply on the screen Other Situations, and any information to the question Did this business receive qualified payments from a cooperative.
  6. Answer the question about anticipated income on the next screen, We're almost done.  If anticipated income is below the threshold, QBI will calculate after that screen.  If above, you will provide additional information, and QBI will calculate according to the final results of the calculations.

You may find the following FAQ helpful:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7036528

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It is calculated through the interview.  For starters, the QBI calculation is complex, especially if the individual is above the 157,500 thresholds if single, married filing separately, or head of household, or 315,000 if Married Filing Joint.  But these are the steps needed to help the program calculate QBI correctly:

1. Under Wages and Income, scroll down to the Subheading Business Income, and select K-1.  
  2. On the screen Choose Type of Activity select whether it is Business Income  or Rental Real Estate, (if business income, answer questions regarding your stock ownership and Material Participation, if rental real estate, answer the appropriate questions about being a Real Estate Professional, Active Participation, and Special Handling.)
  3. On the screen Check Boxes That Have an Amount, you should select Box 17 info.
  4. You should see codes V and W on the K-1 (if you do not, this is would be one reason why the QBI does not calculate.  This information must be on the K-1 for QBI to calculate).
  5. Select any that apply on the screen Other Situations, and any information to the question Did this business receive qualified payments from a cooperative.
  6. Answer the question about anticipated income on the next screen, We're almost done.  If anticipated income is below the threshold, QBI will calculate after that screen.  If above, you will provide additional information, and QBI will calculate according to the final results of the calculations.

You may find the following FAQ helpful:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7036528

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LeeM

That Form K-1 is not yet finalized until 2/7/2019

You can check when that form is available and sign up to be notified at the link below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3319876

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies