turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have an entry on my K-1 in box 1 and 3, but can only enter in box 1 OR 3, not both. How do I enter entries in box 1 AND 3?

How can I enter numbers in box 1 and 3 on the K-1?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

I have an entry on my K-1 in box 1 and 3, but can only enter in box 1 OR 3, not both. How do I enter entries in box 1 AND 3?

If your K-1 shows more than one type of activity (ie: Box 1 and Box 3), treat each one separately. Enter all Box 1 business items on one K-1 and all Box 3 rental items on a separate K-1.

When you add a new K-1 for the second activity, enter only the information from Part I, skip Part II, then enter the income & expenses for Box 3 (rentals).

See the screenshot below for the instructions that appear when you check the box for "This K-1 reports amounts in more than one of boxes 1, 2, and 3" (click to enlarge).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

If your K-1 shows more than one type of activity (ie: Box 1 and Box 3), treat each one separately. Enter all Box 1 business items on one K-1 and all Box 3 rental items on a separate K-1.

When you add a new K-1 for the second activity, enter only the information from Part I, skip Part II, then enter the income & expenses for Box 3 (rentals).

See the screenshot below for the instructions that appear when you check the box for "This K-1 reports amounts in more than one of boxes 1, 2, and 3" (click to enlarge).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It makes sense that if you have to enter multiple K-1s you would want to avoid entering the same info twice, but how do I determine what to enter in each form from Part III (i.e. the info in Box 17, 19, 20, etc...)?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies