• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrhoward18

I have a sole proprietor business in Oregon (with a business license) but the business made no income. What form should I use?

I've seen some say no form is needed, others say you have to submit something even if no income was made. I did not receive any forms in the mail either because there was no income.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyT

I have a sole proprietor business in Oregon (with a business license) but the business made no income. What form should I use?

You will not need to file anything for the business if there was no income and you have no expenses.

If your business had expenses in 2016, you should file a Schedule C to report these expenses. You are allowed to deduct expenses only in the year they were paid - they cannot be carried over to 2017.  (TurboTax Self Employed is required to report Schedule C expenses).  You will be able to deduct these expenses on your return to reduce your taxable income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmyT

You will not need to file anything for the business if there was no income and you have no expenses.

If your business had expenses in 2016, you should file a Schedule C to report these expenses. You are allowed to deduct expenses only in the year they were paid - they cannot be carried over to 2017.  (TurboTax Self Employed is required to report Schedule C expenses).  You will be able to deduct these expenses on your return to reduce your taxable income.

Privacy Settings
v