turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwebb4

On rental property I checked active participation, and material participation, but I am not being allowed my losses on my CA return. CA sch E wks 2C & 2D is checked.

California tax form is disallowing $20K of my $26K loss on my property in California.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanO

On rental property I checked active participation, and material participation, but I am not being allowed my losses on my CA return. CA sch E wks 2C & 2D is checked.

I don't know what you income level is, but that could be the reason.

California conforms to the Federal special allowance rule for those who actively participate in rental real estate activities.

Under this rule, up to $25,000 in real estate losses can be deducted per year if you actively participate.  This allowance is phased out for taxpayers whose modified adjusted gross income exceeds $100,000 and is completely eliminated when the MAGI exceeds $150,000.

A real estate professional on the other hand is not limited by this allowance.

Click here for CA Form 3801 for Passive Activity Loss to calculate the allowable loss with active participation.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanO

I don't know what you income level is, but that could be the reason.

California conforms to the Federal special allowance rule for those who actively participate in rental real estate activities.

Under this rule, up to $25,000 in real estate losses can be deducted per year if you actively participate.  This allowance is phased out for taxpayers whose modified adjusted gross income exceeds $100,000 and is completely eliminated when the MAGI exceeds $150,000.

A real estate professional on the other hand is not limited by this allowance.

Click here for CA Form 3801 for Passive Activity Loss to calculate the allowable loss with active participation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies