Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I depreciated part of my home for the part used for business purposes in past years? Where do I find total accumulated depreciation as of 12/31/18?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I depreciated part of my home for the part used for business purposes in past years? Where do I find total accumulated depreciation as of 12/31/18?

Total depreciation will be shown on the Depreciation and Amortization Report.  It will be included in the PDF download for an online tax return along with other worksheets and information pages.

However, for tax year 2018 the current PDF does not include any of the worksheets, reports or other information pages, only the forms and schedules required to file a complete tax return.

The 2018 online PDF should include all the worksheets after the TurboTax online editions for tax year 2019 become available on December 4, subject to change.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

Carl
Level 15

Just to be a bit more precise:

What you want is the IRS Form 4562 from the PDF file. There will probably be two of them, and both of them print in landscape format. One is titled "Depreciation & Amortization Report" and the other is " Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) Depreciation Report". More than likely, it's the first one I mentioned that you will need.

In order to get the correct amount of total depreciation taken from the 2018 Form 4562, add together the amounts in the "prior years Depr" column and the "current year depr" coloum. That total will be the entire amount of depreciation taken and is the number you need for the 2019 tax return when asked for prior year's depreciation already taken.

If you sold the property in 2019, then you'll use that same number to report the sale, when asked for the total of all depreciation taken.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies