turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I changed business from sole proprietorship to llc in the middle of the tax year, how do I file my taxes?

I am using the same equipment, vehicle and inventory for the new business.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I changed business from sole proprietorship to llc in the middle of the tax year, how do I file my taxes?

If you changed your sole proprietorship to a single-member LLC then there is no change. You still report the LLC's income and expenses on the personal tax return (Schedule C) as your single-member LLC is a disregarded entity for tax purposes.

If your LLC is not a single-member LLC, please comment back for further help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

All you do is add the EIN to the Sch C.

Thank you, TurboTaxMinhT and Critter#2!

Can you just use one Schedule C if you also changed the business to a new name?

Yes.

Thanks!
Jeanetteiem
Returning Member

What would be the difference if you were from sole proprietorship to a 2 member LLC, and the two members are not spouses.

If you did that then the Sch C business was closed and a Partnership was opened thus 2 returns need to be completed ... and if you live in a community property state then you may have 2 Sch Cs to file (if you were married)  instead of the form 1065 ... I really recommend you see local professional guidance BEFORE making any changes to see what the options are and what is best for your situation.

If you did that then the Sch C business was closed and a Partnership was opened thus 2 returns need to be completed ... and if you live in a community property state then you may have 2 Sch Cs to file (if you were married) instead of the form 1065 ... I really recommend you see local professional guidance BEFORE making any changes to see what the options are and what is best for your situation.
Wireman

Changed to a 3 member LLC Feb. 2019 from sole proprietorship started in Oct. 2009. Have vehicles and equipment used prior to LLC formation.  How are these moved to LLC.

@Wireman 

The Sch C business needs to be closed (all assets converted to personal use)   and the Partnership opened ... the assets are moved to the partnership and become part of the basis of the person transferring it ... I highly recommend you seek local professional assistance for this first partnership return so you can get educated on what is needed and required ESPECIALLY if you choose to file as a calendar year business because a short year return will need to be filed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies