turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought and sold blackstone (publicly traded partnership) shares. How do i answer the question on unrecaptured section 1250 gain?

Hi, I bought and sold blackstone (publicly traded partnership) shares in 2019. Turbotax is asking if unrecaptured section 1250 gain are coming from 1) estates, trusts, REITs or mutual funds 2) disposition of an interest in a partnership. I am assuming option 2) applies to me as i sold publicly traded partnership shares. is it correct? thanks in advance!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I bought and sold blackstone (publicly traded partnership) shares. How do i answer the question on unrecaptured section 1250 gain?

No,  section 1250 is depreciated real property as ordinary income if the accumulated depreciation exceeds the depreciation calculated with the straight-line method.  

Your sale of the Blackstone share are capital loss or gain.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I didn't give you more details on the situation. Because blackstone is LP, i received schedule K-1 (form 1065) from them. The form shows positive dollar amount of unrecaptured section 1250 gain (part 3, item 9b). Since the gain is from disposition of the publicly traded partnership shares, i wonder that is considered as "disposition of an interest in a partnership"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I didn't give you more details on the situation. Because blackstone is LP, i received schedule K-1 (form 1065) from them. The form shows positive dollar amount of unrecaptured section 1250 gain (part 3, item 9b). Since the gain is from disposition of the publicly traded partnership shares, i wonder that is considered as "disposition of an interest in a partnership"

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

No, the 1250 is specific to the assets disposed of by the partnership and would have been reflected internally in the annual income- the information would apply and be used if you had other 1250 property disposed of outside of the partnership on your personal return. But once, again, it does not affect or apply to the sale of the partnership interest.

@Anonymous

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies