Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I ann a sole proprietor. My schedule C deductions won't match my W-3, since I also paid a nanny in 2017, and that's not a business expense. How should I handle this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I ann a sole proprietor. My schedule C deductions won't match my W-3, since I also paid a nanny in 2017, and that's not a business expense. How should I handle this?

Enter the appropriate wages and payroll taxes that belong to the business on Schedule C.  

Enter the gross wages paid to a nanny under child care expenses.  You can include your share of the social security and medicare taxes paid, if applicable.  

1. Sign into your TurboTax account.
  2. Select Federal in the black navigation panel on left
  3. In the Search box, upper right, type child care expenses > Jump to child care expenses

Do not include a Schedule H in your return because this is only required if an employer report for employees has not been filed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Enter the appropriate wages and payroll taxes that belong to the business on Schedule C.  

Enter the gross wages paid to a nanny under child care expenses.  You can include your share of the social security and medicare taxes paid, if applicable.  

1. Sign into your TurboTax account.
  2. Select Federal in the black navigation panel on left
  3. In the Search box, upper right, type child care expenses > Jump to child care expenses

Do not include a Schedule H in your return because this is only required if an employer report for employees has not been filed.

And it's ok for just the SUM of those two amounts to match my W-3? Even though it says in the business employee wages section that the amount (business employee wages only, not including nanny) must match my W-3?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

@mmcmahan222 Yes.  If you are questioned you will have all the documentation to support your employer reports, and the figures you use do match your W3 when combined.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies