Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kristenrosin

I am an independent contractor working under a business that is not my own, am i filing correctly?

I don't want the IRS to think I am claiming to own the business that I am working out of, I am a tattoo artist that works at a building, where I provide most of my operating expenses. Just want to double check before I send my return in. Thanks
1 Reply
ChristinaS

I am an independent contractor working under a business that is not my own, am i filing correctly?

Its not uncommon for someone to be an independent contractor at an established business. Just ensure that you are properly considered one, and not an employee. Independent contractors make their own hours and essentially call their own shots, which is not unrealistic for tattoo professionals. If you worked at a restaurant or in an office, it would be different.

If you are rightfully considered an independent contractor, you own your own business for tax purposes just as much as the owner of the tattoo parlor does. Their business is no doubt more substantial and complex, but you are treated as a business owner all the same.

Just ensure that the expenses are your own, like your supplies and your products.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.61m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v