turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nmc32892

I am a car salesman. I received a 1099-MISC form from the manufacturer. Every time I enter my 1099 information, it insists that I am a business owner and I’m not. Help!

This website is very unhelpful when it comes to entering a 1099. Any help would be appreciated 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
georgesT

I am a car salesman. I received a 1099-MISC form from the manufacturer. Every time I enter my 1099 information, it insists that I am a business owner and I’m not. Help!

It depends on how the amount was reported on the 1099-Misc.

If you believe you have been misclassified as self-employed by your employer, you may take the below actions:

• Talk to your Employer. First, you can try to talk to your employer to see if it will review your classification and reclassify you as an employee.
  • Get the IRS Involved. If trying to talk to your employer doesn't work, you can contact the IRS. One thing to keep in mind is that the IRS may disclose your identity to your employer, which might not make the employer too pleased with you. So you may want to think twice before going this path.
  • File Your Tax Return with IRS Form 8919. Independent contractors have to pay all their Social Security and Medicare taxes themselves. In contrast, employees have half of these taxes paid by their employers.

See the below answer to FAQ on were to report 1099MISC

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4770594

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies