turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

samuraig

I agreed with the IRS in 2016 to amortize my 2013 business startup costs over 15 years. The business is closed, so no schedule C. Where can I put the annual amount now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

I agreed with the IRS in 2016 to amortize my 2013 business startup costs over 15 years. The business is closed, so no schedule C. Where can I put the annual amount now?

Since you closed your business, you‘ll need to deduct the remaining unamortized start-up costs as a business expense in the tax year that the business was closed.  You’ll report them in Miscellaneous Expenses, and describe them as long-term capital losses.

[Edited 3|16|2020 11:52 am]

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Since you closed your business, you‘ll need to deduct the remaining unamortized start-up costs as a business expense in the tax year that the business was closed.  You’ll report them in Miscellaneous Expenses, and describe them as long-term capital losses.

[Edited 3|16|2020 11:52 am]

rgaushell

Another CPA told me I should account for them as long-term capital losses, instead of Misc Expenses.  Which is correct?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies