turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ransdellt

How do I take deduction for a passive loss in a partnership in which I have sold my interest?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

How do I take deduction for a passive loss in a partnership in which I have sold my interest?

In the K-1 entry screens, you will need to do the following:

1. Continue through to the screen labeled “Describe the Partnership”

2. Click the check boxes “this partnership ended in 2016” and “disposed of my interest in partnership during 2016”.

3. Answer the question on the screen labeled “Describe Partnership Disposal”

4. Enter the disposition data and continue through the rest of the screens.

5. Continue through the K-1 screens until you reach the screen labeled “Describe the Partnership”

6. If not checked, check the box labeled “I have passive activity losses carried over from last year” and hit continue.

7. Either enter or check the loss carryover amounts until you reach the end of the K-1 section.

This should trigger the prior year passive losses to be deducted on your return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Phillip1

In the K-1 entry screens, you will need to do the following:

1. Continue through to the screen labeled “Describe the Partnership”

2. Click the check boxes “this partnership ended in 2016” and “disposed of my interest in partnership during 2016”.

3. Answer the question on the screen labeled “Describe Partnership Disposal”

4. Enter the disposition data and continue through the rest of the screens.

5. Continue through the K-1 screens until you reach the screen labeled “Describe the Partnership”

6. If not checked, check the box labeled “I have passive activity losses carried over from last year” and hit continue.

7. Either enter or check the loss carryover amounts until you reach the end of the K-1 section.

This should trigger the prior year passive losses to be deducted on your return.

HI, I'm trying to follow the instructions above for an MLP and I don't see Turbo Tax applying the passive losses (about $5K) anywhere.  Where would I see it?  Would  there an offset to it?

I'm having the same problem. I can't see anywhere that Turbotax has "released" the prior year passive activity losses. What are we doing wrong? Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies