turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboFan7

How do I skip Schedule C if I don't have a business and a 1099-MISC this year?

I had a self-employed business last year, but I no longer have it this year. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

If you have no self-employment income or expenses for 2018, then you do not have to file Schedule C.

I would ask you to do a quick assessment.

• Was the business fully wound-down prior to 2018?
  • Did you account for the sale or other disposition of all business assets that may have given rise to a gain (loss)?
  • If you were a cash method taxpayer with respect to the business, were any outstanding bills paid before 2018?
  • Did any straggling cash receipts come in during 2018?

If the business had any of these transactions in 2018, you should file one last Schedule C to formally close the business for tax purposes.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MichaelMc

If you have no self-employment income or expenses for 2018, then you do not have to file Schedule C.

I would ask you to do a quick assessment.

• Was the business fully wound-down prior to 2018?
  • Did you account for the sale or other disposition of all business assets that may have given rise to a gain (loss)?
  • If you were a cash method taxpayer with respect to the business, were any outstanding bills paid before 2018?
  • Did any straggling cash receipts come in during 2018?

If the business had any of these transactions in 2018, you should file one last Schedule C to formally close the business for tax purposes.

TurboFan7

Thank you for your answer!  I had a *one-time contracting work* in 2017 for a couple months.  All the work was concluded in 2017 and the only expenses I had in 2017 were for the mileage incurred on my personal car (hence the 1099-MISC and Schedule C in 2017).  I did not do any similar work in 2018.  Is it ok for me to delete the Schedule C in TurboTax?  Thank you!
MichaelMc

Absolutely! Feel free to delete the Sch. C. If there were any worksheets of forms feeding into the Sch. C, you will want to delete those first.
TurboFan7

Wonderful!  Thank you so very much for your help and wishing you a great day!!! 🙂

What if we are holding on to the business and assets, but nothing was done this year (no income or loss) due to other work that we are paying taxes on. Do I need to fill out another schedule C if there was no income or loss, and the business is still open? I listed it on our taxes, but it did not prompt a schedule c- I previously had deleted the self employed business part by mistake.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies