How do I find out if my self employed turbotax acc...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find out if my self employed turbotax account is filling me as a Single Member LLC? Also, do I need an EIN. I have no employees.

3 Replies
Level 15

How do I find out if my self employed turbotax account is filling me as a Single Member LLC? Also, do I need an EIN. I have no employees.

Yes you file a Single Member LLC in the Self Employed version. It is a disregarded entity and you file it on Schedule C in your personal 1040 return.  Unless you set it up as an S corp.  then you need to file a 1120S business return.

You file it as self employment income.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

Then How to enter self employment expenses

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-enter-my-self-employment-busine...

Anonymous
Not applicable

No EIN needed unless you have employees or are an S_corp.   however, many sole-proprietors/ single member LLC's without employees do get an EIN so if they have to issue 1099's there not giving out their SSN. 

Level 10

@Anonymous wrote:

many sole-proprietors/ single member LLC's without employees do get an EIN so if they have to issue 1099's there not giving out their SSN. 

I agree that is a good idea.  However, for that purpose, get an EIN for YOU, not the LLC.  When you fill out a W-9, it needs to have YOUR name and ID, not the ID of the LLC.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings