Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

impnb

How do I enter a 1099-K from Crypto.com? It is not business related it is a personal account.

Doing a search on TurboTax for 1099-K's refers me to business income on schedule-C (if I remember right) but my Crypto.com account has nothing to do with business, so how do I enter it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How do I enter a 1099-K from Crypto.com? It is not business related it is a personal account.

Some additional details would be helpful in providing guidance; ie: what exactly is going on with the Crypto transactions.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
impnb

Not sure what you are looking for? It says "Payment Card and Third Party Network Transactions". Type of filer is PSE; Type of Payment: 3rd Party Network; Box one is Gross amount; Box 3 is number of transactions Boxes 5a to 5L list amounts; box 6 is State; box 7 is filer ID; box 8 is state income tax withheld, which is $0

snad

I have the same question, I didn't do contract work or make a business either

snad

I have same question, didn't do contract related work or make a business.  It was a personal crypto.com account for personal crypto trading only.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The act of crypto trading or the act of crypto mining are taxable events. Review the information below to see how you should report your crypto transactions.

If you purchased Crypto and did not trade any then there is nothing to report until a tax year where you actually trade it.  Then we have crypto mining which is different.  If you have done mining, then you are considered to be self employed and this income is reported as though you were in business as an independent contractor.  

Reporting for Mining:

• For US tax, mining is an income producing activity and is therefore classified as a business.
  • Most home miners will report their activity on a Schedule C. The mined coins will be reported as income and any associated expenses, such as utilities and depreciation of requisite fixed assets will be included.

The definition of mining vs trading are listed below for your convenience.

Mining: The way cryptocurrencies are created - How will mining customers report their income and expenses

• Mining is the act of using various types of computer hardware and software to solve an algorithm, also known as crypto mining.
  • When a miner successfully solves the algorithm, they can keep the currency mined along with some other incentives.  When solved, the algorithm changes, becomes slightly more difficult and the process repeats.
  • Some currencies, a home computer can mine.  For more difficult  currencies such as Bitcoin, computer hardware with a specialized graphical processing unit (GPU) chip or application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs) ae used.

If you decide you are mining follow the steps below to begin reporting:

• In the Search box (upper right) Type schedule c and click the Jump to link in the search results (TurboTax Online or CD/Download)

Trading: The exchange of goods/services for cryptocurrency

• The act of buying and/or selling the digital currency, as well as using it for barter (exchange for goods or services). This must be reported with or without documentation or statements.  The IRS has determined that cryptocurrency is to be treated like property which means it can result in capital gain or loss.

Reporting for trading:  You can aggregate your sales but separated for long term and short term. (Long term is for crypto that has been held longer than one year, i.e., one year plus one day).  You can use two transactions, and you can use 'various' for the date of purchase, then select long or short term for the type of sale/trade.

• In TurboTax Online you will find Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other (1099-B) as a selection under Investment Income
  • In TurboTax Desktop you will enter Cryptocurrency as a Stock, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Otherunder Investment Income
  • OR simply search for Cryptocurrency in the upper right  

Form 8949 will be competed, and this, along with your detail information documents must be mailed within three days after your return has been accepted with Form 8453 as the cover sheet.

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254 

Receipt and Control Branch 

Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you need a blank Form 8453, you can download this pdf, enter your address information and check the box for Form 8949 (this form is really just a cover sheet).

@snad

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies