turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I delete an entry on the W-2 that should have been a 1099Misc?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmandaR1

How do I delete an entry on the W-2 that should have been a 1099Misc?

To delete your incorrect W-2 entry:

1. Log in and click 'Take me to my return'
  2. Click 'Federal Taxes' and then 'Wages & Income'  (If you have the blue button 'Check for more income', click it and then click 'Skip to see all income')
  3. Next scroll down to 'Wages & Salaries' and click 'Show more' 
  4. Click 'Revisit' next 'Wages & Salaries'
  5. You will be on a summary screen of all W-2s entered. Click the blue delete hyperlink to the right of the 'Edit' button. Confirm and the W-2 will be removed from the list. 

To add your 1099-misc with amounts in box 7, follow the steps below. If you have an amount in a different box, let me know what box. 

1. Log in and click 'Take me to my return'
  2. Click 'Federal Taxes' and then 'Income & Expenses'  (If you have the blue button 'Check for more income', click it and then click 'Skip to see all income')
  3. Next scroll down to 'Self-Employment' and click 'Show more' 
  4. Click 'Start/Revisit' next 'Income and Expenses'. Since you're in the self-employed edition, you will be asked about your self-employed business. If you've already answered these questions, you'll be at a summary screen listing your self-employed "work/businesses." Click Edit next to the business you would like to add the 1099 income too.
  5. The next screen will be a summary screen titled Here's your info for this work.  Click Add income for this work and on the next screen select 1099-misc and click Continue to enter this business income. 
  6. Note: there are some less common, costly business expenses that will change the experience to enter your business experience. If you have a Business tab in step 2 above, let me know and I'll provide alternative instructions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies