turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I change the state from an LLC to a partnership? in Business TurboTax

Business TT forced my partnership return to be an LLC.  How do I make it just a partnership in California?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

When you begin your return, you select LLC (form 1065) or Partnership (form 1065). The software can't create a different type of business for your state return. The state must follow your federal selection because the state isn't a stand-alone software (the information has to transfer from federal). 

There are two ways to figure out what needs to happen: 

1. Check your initial business selection for federal. What you login and resume your return, select Business Info tab and then About Your Business below. The first line, below About your business, shows BUSINESS TYPE name. Make sure this doesn't say LLC. (see screenshot below)
  2. Because LLCs default to be taxed as partnerships, I've noticed some questions are geared toward certain situations (even though I chose a different business type). If your federal selection is Partnership, let me know more information about why you think your CA return is a LLC. Is it the software asking a question geared toward a LLC? Or is it an actual partnership return number? 

Let me know more info and I can help you. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmandaR1

When you begin your return, you select LLC (form 1065) or Partnership (form 1065). The software can't create a different type of business for your state return. The state must follow your federal selection because the state isn't a stand-alone software (the information has to transfer from federal). 

There are two ways to figure out what needs to happen: 

1. Check your initial business selection for federal. What you login and resume your return, select Business Info tab and then About Your Business below. The first line, below About your business, shows BUSINESS TYPE name. Make sure this doesn't say LLC. (see screenshot below)
  2. Because LLCs default to be taxed as partnerships, I've noticed some questions are geared toward certain situations (even though I chose a different business type). If your federal selection is Partnership, let me know more information about why you think your CA return is a LLC. Is it the software asking a question geared toward a LLC? Or is it an actual partnership return number? 

Let me know more info and I can help you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies