turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sudbury4

For 2017, I have an LLC where I do both scientific consulting and wildlife photography, two disparate businesses. The LLC doesn't specific the businesses. Can I include and combine both in my business TurboTax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For 2017, I have an LLC where I do both scientific consulting and wildlife photography, two disparate businesses. The LLC doesn't specific the businesses. Can I include and combine both in my business TurboTax return?

Assuming this is a single-member LLC all your self-employment income and expenses ends up on a Schedule C, or Schedules C, as the case may be.

The IRS instructions suggest that separate reporting is required:

"Describe the business or professional activity that provided your principal source of income reported on line 1. If you owned more than one business, you must complete a separate Schedule C for each business. Give the general field or activity and the type of product or service."

The IRS doesn't really define exactly what "separate" means here and if you end up reporting everything on one Schedule C, accurately, I can't see that the IRS really could do anything.  Accurately reporting your income pretty much makes you bullet-proof.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Assuming this is a single-member LLC all your self-employment income and expenses ends up on a Schedule C, or Schedules C, as the case may be.

The IRS instructions suggest that separate reporting is required:

"Describe the business or professional activity that provided your principal source of income reported on line 1. If you owned more than one business, you must complete a separate Schedule C for each business. Give the general field or activity and the type of product or service."

The IRS doesn't really define exactly what "separate" means here and if you end up reporting everything on one Schedule C, accurately, I can't see that the IRS really could do anything.  Accurately reporting your income pretty much makes you bullet-proof.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies