turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which ETP K-1 should I use?

Two weeks ago I received a K-1 for ETP.  Last week I received one from ET.  The one from ET includes data for ETP on the Supplemental Data sheet.  Which source should I use when entering data for ETP.  The FEIN is the same. 

Also, I owned ETP until ETE merged with them creating ET.  I never owned any USAC or SUN which also show up on the ET Supplemental Data sheet.  Do I just ignore them?  Thanks 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

First, when it comes to ET, you actually now own positions in USAC and SUN (as well as ETP).  ET owns a stake in each, and you own ET, so their results are passed back to you.  So when you enter ET, you have to create separate K-1s for each sub-entity. There's a couple reasons for this:

• The IRS rules on PTPs state that losses from one PTP can't be used to offset income from another. So if you sum across all sub-entities, you can violate that rule. Even though a parent PTP owns the shares of the sub-PTPs on your behalf, you still can't violate that rule.
  • If the parent sells off one of the sub-entities in the future, you'd be entitled to recognize any prior year suspended losses for that sub-entity. That only works, though, if you've been keeping separate records.

As for the two ETP's, you add them together.  The ETP K-1 includes financials from Jan 1 to merger day.  The ET sub-K1 includes financials from merger day to 12/31.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!

View solution in original post

1 Reply

First, when it comes to ET, you actually now own positions in USAC and SUN (as well as ETP).  ET owns a stake in each, and you own ET, so their results are passed back to you.  So when you enter ET, you have to create separate K-1s for each sub-entity. There's a couple reasons for this:

• The IRS rules on PTPs state that losses from one PTP can't be used to offset income from another. So if you sum across all sub-entities, you can violate that rule. Even though a parent PTP owns the shares of the sub-PTPs on your behalf, you still can't violate that rule.
  • If the parent sells off one of the sub-entities in the future, you'd be entitled to recognize any prior year suspended losses for that sub-entity. That only works, though, if you've been keeping separate records.

As for the two ETP's, you add them together.  The ETP K-1 includes financials from Jan 1 to merger day.  The ET sub-K1 includes financials from merger day to 12/31.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies