turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Farm inheritance

My mother passed in 2019 and left me one twelf of a family farm.  The taxes for this farm are prepared and divided amongst family member according to their share.  There is actually a small loss for 2019.

As my mother's estate executor, do I need to file a return for pro-rated amount in 2019 and also for my amount separately on my return?

Does the question at the beginning of the TurboTax questionnaire about earning out of state income also include inheriting a farm in my same state of California?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Farm inheritance

Actually since this is in your home state, the information should flow from your federal into your Ca State return. As far as reporting your family member shares, normally these are reported in a trust return that has its own separate tax ID. From the trust return, you can issue K1's for each beneficiary declaring what each of their pro-rata share is. Those K1's will be used to prepare their own tax returns. As a beneficiary, you will also prepare a K1 for yourself in the return.

This is contingent on whether or not a Trust was created for the estate.  If you didn't, then each family member can report their pro-rata share of their own without a K1.Trust accounts can be tricky.  Here is a link i can give you to read regarding simple and complex trusts. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies