Solved: Estate Distributions for 2019 and 2020

meking53

Estate Distributions for 2019 and 2020

I am filling out separate 1041s for my deceased mom (died in April 2019) and dad (died in May 2019). I have chosen to use a fiscal year accounting period ending in March 2020 for both estate returns. TurboTax Business prompts me for the distributions to beneficiaries in 2019 but not for those that will be made in 2020. I want this to be the final estate 1041 returns. How can I make TurboTax Business prompt me for distributions to be made in March 2020 as well as those already made in 2019.  If this cannot be done then I will be forced to use calendar year accounting  and do four estate returns (2019 and 2020). Is there a way to deal with this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

tagteam

Estate Distributions for 2019 and 2020

That is nothing more than TurboTax terminology (i.e., the manner in which TurboTax was programmed).

You can enter your total distributions in that field, regardless of whether they were made in 2019 or 2020, since you are using a fiscal year ending in March.

tagteam

Estate Distributions for 2019 and 2020

meking53

Estate Distributions for 2019 and 2020

Thanks for confirming. Yesterday I checked the actual form K-1 and the sum of the 2019 and 2020 can be entered into "2019" distributions.