turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rjt2984

Do I need to file an Alabama tax return? ; Texas resident and made money from sale of Alabama property in Family partnership; Partnership Fed. & AL K1 has been filed and I have a copy,so do I really need to file with the state of Alabama?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Patrice

Do I need to file an Alabama tax return? ; Texas resident and made money from sale of Alabama property in Family partnership; Partnership Fed. & AL K1 has been filed and I have a copy,so do I really need to file with the state of Alabama?

Do you have to file Alabama taxes? It depends on how much income (gain) you had from the sale of the property in AL, relative to your other income.

From the AL DOR website:  Nonresidents must file a return if Alabama income exceeds the allowable prorated personal exemption. 

If you didn't report a gain on the sale on your federal return, you don't need to file an AL return.  

If you did report a gain on your federal return, you have to calculate whether the prorated AL exemption will eliminate the gain for AL tax purposes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Patrice

Do you have to file Alabama taxes? It depends on how much income (gain) you had from the sale of the property in AL, relative to your other income.

From the AL DOR website:  Nonresidents must file a return if Alabama income exceeds the allowable prorated personal exemption. 

If you didn't report a gain on the sale on your federal return, you don't need to file an AL return.  

If you did report a gain on your federal return, you have to calculate whether the prorated AL exemption will eliminate the gain for AL tax purposes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies