Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a letter from a limited partnership that instructs me to enter a number on form 1040 schedule A line 23. How do i do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a letter from a limited partnership that instructs me to enter a number on form 1040 schedule A line 23. How do i do that?

Ok Schedule A line 23 is for investment expenses.  
Federal Taxes
Deductions and Credits
Then scroll down to Retirement and Investments
Other Investment Expenses - Click the Start or Update button

But it's usually not worth even putting in.   It is a Misc Deduction and only the amount OVER 2% of your AGI is deductible.  And then all your deductions have to be more than the Standard Deduction to give you any benefit.  

For example, you make $20,000 AGI.  Only the amount over $400 (20,000 x .02) would even be deductible.  And that's only for 20,000 AGI.  For like 50,000 AGI only the amount over $1,000 would be deductible.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Did you get a Schedule K-1 from the partnership?  You need to enter that.

it was a letter not  a form and they will not send me a K1

Ok Schedule A line 23 is for investment expenses.  
Federal Taxes
Deductions and Credits
Then scroll down to Retirement and Investments
Other Investment Expenses - Click the Start or Update button

But it's usually not worth even putting in.   It is a Misc Deduction and only the amount OVER 2% of your AGI is deductible.  And then all your deductions have to be more than the Standard Deduction to give you any benefit.  

For example, you make $20,000 AGI.  Only the amount over $400 (20,000 x .02) would even be deductible.  And that's only for 20,000 AGI.  For like 50,000 AGI only the amount over $1,000 would be deductible.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies