turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Change turbotax self employed to business tax so i can fill out 1120s

Do I need to do this and if so will all the information i already entered transfer over?
1 Reply
Level 15

Change turbotax self employed to business tax so i can fill out 1120s

Yes you need to file a physically separate return for your S-Corp. No, you can not transfer the data. In fact, you will need to clear your personal return entirely, because you can't even start the personal return until you've completed the corporate return and have been issued the K-1's and any other tax documents necessary for your personal return.

For the corp return, you need TurboTax Business, which is completely different from Home & Business. TurboTax Business is not available as an online product, or for MACs. It's for the windows platform only. You can purchase TurboTax Business at https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

Note that TurboTax Business can not be used for file any kind of a personal return, because it does not contain any version of the 1040. TurboTax Business can only be used to complete a tax return and issue tax reporting documents for a non-breathing, non-living taxable entity, such as an S-Corp, C-Corp, Partnership, estates, trusts, and a few other things.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies