turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NS1
Level 3

Can we e-file partnership return 1065 after we have filed for an extension with form 7004?

We e-filed for extension of time on filing 1065 last month with form 7004, via ExpressExtension, and at the time got an email confirmation that the extension has been accepted by the IRS for the Tax Year 2018. Now we are ready to submit our 1065 with TurboTax Business.

I got the impression that we have to attach a copy of the filed form 7004 with our return. Is this correct and do we really need to attach it? Since there is no way to attach documents with TurboTax Business, can we still e-file our partnership return?

When I go to forms mode, I see that there is a form 7004 and I can open it, and activate it. It appears as if this will create the form and send it out with the return. Is this the correct thing to do in our case?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Can we e-file partnership return 1065 after we have filed for an extension with form 7004?

Yes, you can file the 1065 return.  You will not need to attach a copy of Form 7004 to the return.  You have already received confirmation that the IRS has accepted the extension. Uncheck the box that activated the 7004 in your return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file the 1065 return.  You will not need to attach a copy of Form 7004 to the return.  You have already received confirmation that the IRS has accepted the extension. Uncheck the box that activated the 7004 in your return.

NS1
Level 3

Thank you!
NS1
Level 3

This year, we also filed Form 7004, which automatically applies to our NJ State return as well. The instructions for NJ 1065 say "A copy of your application for federal extension, federal Form 7004, must be filed with your New Jersey return. Check the box labeled “Application for federal extension is attached” on the front of your NJ-1065."

I did check the appropriate box, but that again leaves me wondering how to attach the 7004 form? Is there really no way to attach this form, and if so do I need to file by mail just because of this?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Form 7004 can be filed electronically for most returns. However, Form 7004 cannot be filed electronically for Forms 8612, 8613, 8725, 8831, 8876, or 706-GS(D). For details on electronic filing, visit IRS.gov/efile7004. If you do not file electronically, file Form 7004 with the Internal Revenue Service Center at the applicable address for your return as shown in Where To File, later in the instructions. If you file Form 7004 on paper and file your tax return electronically, your return may be processed before the extension is granted. This may result in a penalty notice.

Below is a link for instructions

Instructions for Form 7004

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies